Re: Early RPM Efforts

Tim O'Connor

I operate on the RPI layout twice a year, and almost every scene on the layout is
taken from the prototype, thanks largely to John Nehrich's outstanding reproductions
of prototypical buildings and industries. It just gets better and better. And the
school even gave us our own private entrance a couple of years ago (a dorm security
measure). The op sessions always include a number of students too, so hopefully the
layout will continue for a long time to come.

I've built those early Westerfield kits. I had a side break like glass - but the
fracture was so clean that I glued it back together, and it was invisible.

Tim O'Connor

Dan and friends, yes the NEB&W was a fictitious railroad, but in addition to the modeled prototype scenes you mentioned, the motive power and rolling stock was based on Rutland and D&H prototypes.  It was largely the John Nehrich, Jeff English, Todd Sullivan and Andy Claremont articles in MR and RMC in the early 1980’s on how to turn the available kits of the day into more correct models of actual prototypes that opened my eyes to a whole new world of modeling.  Once the Storzek Rutland and NYC box car kits hit the market, followed by the NEB&W ‘green dot’ kits, I was hooked on resin kits.  The first Westerfield kit I bought was a NYC hopper made of the dark gray casting material.  Assembling that kit was like trying to glue potato chips together.  Every time I touched it something else broke.  It is still partially finished in a box somewhere in my basement.  It was my first experience with scale thickness walls on a freight car kit.

Mark Rossiter

Sterling, Massachusetts