Re: Early RPM Efforts

Mike – Thanks for the kind words.  I stumbled into manufacturing because there were so few models of the period I had chosen – 1923.  I knew little about prototype modeling, but you folks started sending me info and criticizing my efforts, so that I had to improve my research and patterns.  I once counted how many modelers I’d thanked for their help in my instructions and histories.  It was over 200.  So I didn’t do it alone.

• Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:14 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Early RPM Efforts

A note to Al--Shared with the Group----

Your early and continuing work, really, contributions, in the hobby have been huge.  Even those early kits, fragile as they might be, were wonderful and brought advances in modeling that showed us the way to do great modeling and to expect better in ourselves and those that supply our purchases.  Tom Madden gave us a very nice run-down of where much of this had come from but your efforts brought something of a quantum leap that showed everyone that much more could be done to bring better realism to our railroad cars.  Future advances will come but what you and Patricia did for the hobby will stand as a large milestone in the modeling quality we can expect in our hobby.  Thank you, Al, for all you gave us and the hobby!

Enjoy your time in Arizona.  Enjoy the hobby.  And please stay in touch offering comments as you see opportunity.

Good wishes from Grove City in western Penna.    Mike Schleigh

On Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 11:13:02 AM EDT, al_westerfield <westerfieldalfred@...> wrote:

Mark – For about 15 years we willing replaced those castings  for urethane at no charge for anyone who requested it.  To get the old kits off hobby shop shelves, we notified every shop on out lists that we would replace entire kits if they returned the originals.  Surprisingly, few did.

But I received my greatest compliment over that kit.  One modeler complained to another that my ad should have showed the model, not the prototype.  It was the model.

• Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:00 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Early RPM Efforts

Dan and friends, yes the NEB&W was a fictitious railroad, but in addition to the modeled prototype scenes you mentioned, the motive power and rolling stock was based on Rutland and D&H prototypes.  It was largely the John Nehrich, Jeff English, Todd Sullivan and Andy Claremont articles in MR and RMC in the early 1980’s on how to turn the available kits of the day into more correct models of actual prototypes that opened my eyes to a whole new world of modeling.  Once the Storzek Rutland and NYC box car kits hit the market, followed by the NEB&W ‘green dot’ kits, I was hooked on resin kits.  The first Westerfield kit I bought was a NYC hopper made of the dark gray casting material.  Assembling that kit was like trying to glue potato chips together.  Every time I touched it something else broke.  It is still partially finished in a box somewhere in my basement.  It was my first experience with scale thickness walls on a freight car kit.

Mark Rossiter        

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.