Re: Early RPM Efforts

Mike – Thanks for the kind words.  I stumbled into manufacturing because there were so few models of the period I had chosen – 1923.  I knew little about prototype modeling, but you folks started sending me info and criticizing my efforts, so that I had to improve my research and patterns.  I once counted how many modelers I’d thanked for their help in my instructions and histories.  It was over 200.  So I didn’t do it alone.

  • Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:14 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Early RPM Efforts

A note to Al--Shared with the Group----

Your early and continuing work, really, contributions, in the hobby have been huge.  Even those early kits, fragile as they might be, were wonderful and brought advances in modeling that showed us the way to do great modeling and to expect better in ourselves and those that supply our purchases.  Tom Madden gave us a very nice run-down of where much of this had come from but your efforts brought something of a quantum leap that showed everyone that much more could be done to bring better realism to our railroad cars.  Future advances will come but what you and Patricia did for the hobby will stand as a large milestone in the modeling quality we can expect in our hobby.  Thank you, Al, for all you gave us and the hobby!

Enjoy your time in Arizona.  Enjoy the hobby.  And please stay in touch offering comments as you see opportunity.

Good wishes from Grove City in western Penna.    Mike Schleigh

On Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 11:13:02 AM EDT, al_westerfield <westerfieldalfred@...> wrote:

Mark – For about 15 years we willing replaced those castings  for urethane at no charge for anyone who requested it.  To get the old kits off hobby shop shelves, we notified every shop on out lists that we would replace entire kits if they returned the originals.  Surprisingly, few did.

But I received my greatest compliment over that kit.  One modeler complained to another that my ad should have showed the model, not the prototype.  It was the model.