Re: Poultry Cars

Kristin Dummler

All,
Thank you all for your input on the mesh! The screen on TWP is really quite impressive and close to prototypical dimension. I did have a chance to look around there a bit yesterday evening.

I'd have to get a sample and see what it looked like in person to know if it works for the poultry, however I'll most likely give it a try. So far, all the other sample materials I have are not quite right.

For those who haven't seen the presentation, here are the complete measurements I was given for the car in St. Louis:
A)The screen wire is a 1/8" diameter solid wire woven
B) The pattern is in a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2"Diamond Pattern vertically
C) The "C" channel frame holding the wire screen is a 1" tall, with 1/2" legs
D) The length of the screens, (along the car) is 14'-6"
E) The screens are 11" tall
F) The gap between the screens is 3"
G) That is tongue and groove wood sticking out between the screens.

The videos that Doug mentions are really fantastic. Unfortunately PDF does not have live video capability yet.

Kristin Dummler

On 10/26/2018 11:38 PM, Douglas Harding wrote:

One thing missing from Kristen’s presentation handout were the brief videos. They are not part of her pdf. I posted links to the videos she used, to this list back in August.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ralph W. Brown
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2018 11:20 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Poultry Cars

Doug, Dave, et al.,

Doug said - “In her presentation, Kristen said the mesh on the car at St Louis measured: 1/8” woven wire, 1.5”x1.5” vertical diamond pattern.”

Diamond patterns are typically described by their axis dimensions, so doing the math the mesh would be 1.06066” square and rotated 45 degrees. Eighth inch wire would be 0.001435” diameter, and the mesh would be 0.01248” x 0.01248”.  That would be, I think, about 82 mesh of 0.0014 wire.  As it turns out, there is actually a stainless steel mesh that comes reasonably close!  It is T316 stainless “high transparency” 0.0012” wire 80 mesh, but it’s more than a bit pricey starting at $19.50/sq. ft. for 1-24 sq. ft. with a minimum order of $100.00.  A full 4’ x 100’ roll goes for $1,950.00, which drops the price per sq. ft. to $4.88. 

It looks like pretty amazing stuff, but given the very small quantities most of might need, I think suspect we.d need a fair sized group to make a purchase worthwhile.  A 3” x 3” sample or “swatch” is also available for $10.00 ($40.00/sq. ft.).

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Friday, October 26, 2018 11:26 PM

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Poultry Cars

Nelson:

To get 1.5 x 1.5" openings in HO scale, one could consider ~40 mesh screen with ~0.017" openings.

The problem with metal screens for Kristin's application is the wire size -- 1/8" wire in HO scale would be 0.0014", which is much finer than the wire in any of the commercial metal screens, brass or stainless.   "Traditional" chicken wire would be even more problematic given how fine the wire is there.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.