Re: 55 Ton Fishbelly Hopper Cars

David Payne

John Sykes III writes:
I assume you guys are speaking about "late" fishbelly twin hoppers (the Stewart/Bowser model)?  Pressed Steel Car Company first came out with these cars in the late 1890's.  The largest customer was PRR with over 20,000 GLs, GLCs, CLCAs, GLCBs and GLHs, ultimately coming from several car builders, included the railroad itself.  The January 1954 ORER shows over 4,700 of these cars still in service of that late date.

Actually I was looking for a southeastern “home” for the AtlasO model that I have, but it doesn’t appear that many, if any, migrated south.
David Payne