As I stated: "The problem here is that a real item shrunk to 1/87 of it’s original size would NOT look “right” … the physics of light do not allow it."

Dan Mitchell
=========

On Oct 28, 2018, at 12:03 AM, Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@...> wrote:

Dan,

The “high transparency” mesh I described in my earlier posts is 81% open or transparent.  Both the wire size and the mesh dimensions are very close to the prototype, but in HO scale.  See: https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-material/stainless-steel/80-mesh-stainless-high-transparency-0012.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

From: Daniel A. Mitchell
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 6:03 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Poultry Cars

Yes, I’ve looked at it. I also attended Kristen’s presentation. To me the suggested wire mesh seems about 30% transparent, vs. perhaps 90-plus% for the real poultry cars.I’ve also worked with similar real mesh. It sure does NOT look like the mesh as seen on the real poultry cars. This is undoubtedly due to lighting effects, as the mesh’s dimensions seem close to correct. I suspect a good part of this is due to both lighting angle and diffraction.

The problem here is that a real item shrunk to 1/87 of it’s original size would NOT look “right” … the physics of light do not allow it.

Dan Mitchell
=========

On Oct 27, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

Dan, have you visited the TWP, Inc. web page and looked at the sample photos of fine stainless steel mesh? The phots show a model’s hand holding a 3x3 swatch of each available mesh so that prospective buyers can see the transparency. The photos are front lighted, and the mesh specifications, including wire diameter and opening size, are given for each mesh. I believe you will find these photos instructive.

Nelson Moyer