Re: Weighing Freight Car Models with Liquid Gravity

Jim Betz

Randy/all,

  We keep hearing guys talk about tungsten ... it doesn't "work" for me.

  Although tungsten does have a higher specific gravity than lead/steel ... it is
not enough more to make a difference in terms of how much weight you can
actually add to your model trains.  We don't use enough volume of weight
to make a difference.
  Tungsten is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to cut/shape/size.  Yes,
it can be cut/machined - but I haven't met anyone in the hobby with the
equipment to do so.  I've never seen "tungsten shot".
  To my way of thinking the only advantage to tungsten is that it isn't
magnetic.  Neither is lead ...

  I use lead shot and sheet lead.  I don't eat it.  I wash my hands with
simple soap and water after I handle it.  I 'encase' it in KK/white glue
so I don't worry about it after it is installed.
                                                                                             - Jim B.