From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeff
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 12:23 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Weighing Freight Car Models with Liquid Gravity

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 9:12 AM Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:

Randy/all,

We keep hearing guys talk about tungsten ... it doesn't "work" for me.

Although tungsten does have a higher specific gravity than
lead/steel ... it is not enough more to make a difference in terms of
how much weight you can actually add to your model trains. We don't
use enough volume of weight to make a difference.
Tungsten is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to
cut/shape/size. Yes, it can be cut/machined - but I haven't met
anyone in the hobby with the equipment to do so. I've never seen "tungsten shot".
To my way of thinking the only advantage to tungsten is that it
isn't magnetic. Neither is lead ...
<snip>

Have you heard of Tungsten powder?
https://www.amazon.com/Dynacraft-Tungsten-Powder-Jar-8-Ounce/dp/B00LU0W5CA/ref=sr_1_1