From: Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Weighing Freight Car Models with Liquid Gravity

While tungsten is more expensive than lead, and may be harder to work with, it is definitely heavier for any given volume … nearly twice as heavy. I thus disagree with you that "If you have enough space for 1 oz of tungsten or titanium you will almost always have enough room for 1 oz of lead”. Just NOT true. You need only a bit more than half the volume of available space if you use tungsten. That’s often critical when trying to weight a flatcar or other "problem” rolling stock.

And, as for titanium … it’s relatively light and not at all suited as a weight. I mentioned it only as another difficult-to-machine metal. Both titanium and tungsten CAN be machined, but not with the tools usually available in home shops. For most, to use tungsten you need to buy it in a useable form.

Dan Mitchell
==========

On Oct 29, 2018, at 5:42 PM, Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:

Dan/all,
  If you have enough space for 1 oz of tungsten or titanium you will almost always
have enough room for 1 oz of lead ... think about it.  How much weight do we -add-
to a freight car?  Two to 3 oz. TOPS.  Usually 1 to 1.5 ounces.
  I'm saying there is always room for enough lead.  There's probably enough
room for enough copper/brass!  I know some guys who use pennies for car
weights in their box cars - they say it is cheaper per oz than anything else.  ;-)
  And it doesn't really matter what scale you are in - although adding weight
is probably physically harder in N-scale simply due to smaller spaces (but you
are adding less weight).
                                                                                           - Jim B.