Re: Poultry Cars

Kristin Dummler

Dan,

2800+ cars were in operation at their most popular.

The Ambroid kits are still out there. I have several that I have purchased to build in the last year. They are hard to come by, but around. The idea all along has been to develop a kit for building these cars. Whether laser cut wood, mixed medium, 3D printed, resin, etc.. etc.. they will not be a simple model. Especially not if truly prototypical.

Kristin D.

On 10/30/2018 4:05 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
A Photo-Etched side might well prove the best of the several options.

The mesh will probably need to be a bit coarser than scale to avoid optical problems and still achieve adequate transparency.

The best thing about this approach is etching the entire side in one piece, slots and all. 3D etching, or a multi-layer etch could also represent the ends of the deck boards protruding through the slots. That would greatly simplify building such a model.

One question is how many of the old Ambroid cars are still around in salvageable form? A better one might be … if the PE sides become available, would one of the resin builders market a new car kit that uses them? I think there may indeed be a market for such. It seems well over 2000 of these cars were in service at one time, pretty much all over the country. They were NOT all that rare.

Dan Mitchell
On Oct 30, 2018, at 3:38 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

A known and skilled "photo-etcher" was present for Kristin's second presentation and he signed on to consult and help her.

Bill Welch