Re: Floquil Glaze

Tim O'Connor

Because Floquil is an enamel, it can slowly polymerize in the bottle... this is what
causes the graininess. It also happens to acrylic enamels. In each case the best way
to prevent it is to measure out the paint you're going to use, and throw out any left
overs, and never return any paint to the original bottle.

But, absent those problems, then adding thinner should make it flow again. A couple
drops of retarder helps too.

When the paint gets grainy I keep them but only as brush paint and washes for weathering.
Never try to airbrush them. It won't be pretty!

Tim O'

I have a stash of this material, which at one time was identified as Floquil paint without any pigment, i.e. only the carrier and solvent.  Does anyone know whether or not this is true?

If so, I am wondering whether or notGlaze  could be used to reconstitute Floquil paints that seemed to be too  reduced  by evaporation (how does that happen when the lid is on right….?).  I have been successful in soome instances by just adding solvent (lacquer thinner or Diosol), but too often this ends up with a degraded grainy paint.  I am very much aware that older Floquil paints craze styrene. Of course, I could simply try and see what happens.

I find that the older more colorful Floquil paints still have their good uses.

Denny S. Anspach, MD

Sterling, Massachusetts