Re: Parafilm was ModelMaster/Floquil/Paasche paint bottle/cap size and nomenclature.

Nelson Moyer

Without taking time to properly investigate your question, I can state that Teflon is inert enough to be used as gasket material for bottles designed to store a wide variety of volatile liquids, so Teflon tape would be a reasonable thread gasket for paint bottles. It’s widely used as a thread seal for precision plumbing of pressurized gas lines among other uses. Just be sure you observe thread geometry or you will tear the tape as you screw the cap down. You would probably have to use a new strip of Teflon tape every time you opened the bottle. Teflon may shred in the threads , and little pieces may contaminate the bottle, but the concern would be particulates in the paint, not chemical reaction with Teflon. I’d reserve Teflon tape for bottle I didn’t intend to open for a long time, not for ‘working’ paint bottles.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rossiter, Mark W
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2018 1:21 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Parafilm was ModelMaster/Floquil/Paasche paint bottle/cap size and nomenclature.

Someone mentioned Teflon tape in passing, but there was no real commentary on it from the masses.  It’s readily available and not very expensive.  I’m sure it would be OK for use on Poly Scale and other acrylic paints, but how about the solvent based paints?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Mark Rossiter