Intermountain Announces Foobies

Nelson Moyer

I just got the October 19 new product reservation form for Intermountain wood side reefers. It appears that they are painting one of their SFRD reefers in a number of schemes without regard for prototype detail. Specifically, they announced RR 34461 as a BREX 75500 series car. The BREX prototype had wood sides and ends, Murphy panel roof, wood hatch platforms, fishbelly center sill, no brake step, top mounted uncoupling levers, and a horizontal brake wheel. These cars were rebuilt in the 1940s to include removal of the wood hatch platforms, use of a Hutchins roof, and addition of a brake step. The intermountain car doesn’t have a fishbelly center sill, it lacks the distinctive wraparound corner reinforcement on the sills, but it does have wood hatch platforms of the original car. The ends and roof aren’t visible in the announcement. The reweigh date from intermountain is 7-47, so this car would be one of the rebuilds. Bottom line, the Intermountain car in no way resembles the prototype, and if they release this car as announced, it will be one of the worst foobies ever. I emailed Intermountain and sent a photo of BREX 75535 for their edification. When will they ever learn.

I can’t evaluate the PFE, WFE, NP, MDT, LRX, or BAR prototypes, but I would expect knowledgeable modelers to find problems with those cars as well.

Nelson Moyer