From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Aley, Jeff A <Jeff.A.Aley@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 7:38 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Intermountain Announces Foobies

Bruce,

               In regard to SFRD reefers, you wrote, “These are pretty good models of these cars and are an essential component of any steam era reefer fleet (unless you model UP/SP).”

Hmm.  Looking at the UP conductor book of Mr. DeBoie, I find:

X3569E had 43 reefers, including 5 SFRD.

X1451E had 32 reefers, no SFRD.

From another UP conductor’s book, the aggregate of all trains had 479 reefers, 39 SFRD.

UP Freight Conductor Traud had an aggregate of 813 reefers, and only 2 SFRD – both carrying merchandise.

UP Freight Conductor Harrison had 49 reefers, and no SFRD.

               I’ll leave it to the UP modelers to decide for themselves if an SFRD reefer is “essential” or not.  The variation in the samples is quite interesting (39 out of 479 for one conductor; 2 out of 813 for another conductor).

Regards,

-Jeff