Re: Sante Fe Express Box car easy to convert to "normal" freight car?

vapeurchapelon

John,

many thanks again, but - it may be strange, but this model would be for my 100%-brass freight train I am currently building.

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 12. November 2018 um 19:22 Uhr
Von: "John Barry" <northbaylines@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] Sante Fe Express Box car easy to convert to "normal" freight car?
The Walthers (LifeLike) is a reasonable stand in out of the box but the decorated versions have an incorrect side panel count for the Santa Fe car.  The correct side panels are on the end door versions and a solution for an accurate model is to replace the end doors with an A end from another kit, cut out the side sill tabs, and repaint to suit.  As built, the freight versions came with Barber S-2 trucks, but many freight units got the Allied full cushion units in truck swaps with the passenger versions when they had derailment issues.  Others got ASF ride control trucks.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2018 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Sante Fe Express Box car easy to convert to "normal" freight car?

Many thanks John,

I am modelling the early post-war years up to maybe '52 or '53. According to your notes it would be better to cenvert the model. (After I have found one - I am not the winner of this auction...)

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 12. November 2018 um 18:23 Uhr
Von: "John Barry" <northbaylines@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] Sante Fe Express Box car easy to convert to "normal" freight car?
Johannes,

The ARA class BX Fe-24 represented by the Coach Yard model occasionally found it's way into freights as I've seen one photo of an instance in Ohio.  That said, it depends on when you model.  After AMTRAK, they all went into freight service, prior to that, the passenger equipped Fe-24s would be assigned to freight service during lulls in the express business.  So during WWII and Korea or any year during the Christmas rush, green express boxes in freights not so much.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:46 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Sante Fe Express Box car easy to convert to "normal" freight car?

Hello friends,

please have a look at this model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-CY-AT-amp-SF-Express-Boxcar-FP-4211-Green-/142961353520?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=9mTv0M29qUj01fYqS%252B2D1Me5tKU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

In order to convert it to an ordinary Box car, would it be sufficient just to remove the steam line, to add freight car coupler lift bars and a new paint job of course?
(Or did these cars in this form run in freight trains occasionally?)

Many thanks

Johannes

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.