From: np328
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2018 5:00 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Reefers for frozen fish.

       Scott, you are very safe in running at least one NP wooden reefer with fish.
I have seen in my research carloads moving in our (I model 1953) time frame. This traffic was salmon that moved from Hoquiam / Aberdeen WA. to Chicago and often on the east coast.  I do recall seeing at least one car load moving from Hoquiam WA to Newport News, VA.           A longer route would take some planning and why transport salmon from one coast to the other, I have no answer for.

         As I said above, this should be an older car because paperwork I have states that "Fish service is where reefers go to die. Once used for fish they are virtually unusable for any other commodity!"
That per an NP railway officer berating a regional traffic clerk who used a newer reefer.
        However for all that I have seen, heed Tony's words above. You say "frozen fish" and there were some process fisheries out on the western Washington coast starting in the 30's, however I do not recall the exact names, they were pretty commonly seen in the supermarket growing up. Names as a child I associate with frozen fish sticks. I do not eat fish and whenever I saw these in the fridge as a child the next move was to check if there was sufficient peanut butter to carry me through.                                                                                                                                                                             Jim Dick - St. Paul, MN

And yes, a multi-hatch reefer from Canada.
     In the NP Rwy files at the Minnesota Historical Society is an extensive file with information on the testing of one of these multi-hatched reefers, in addition to the routing and shipping of fish from Canada down through Duluth via the DW&P then down to Chicago and points east. I recall pouring over it decades ago finding it really very interesting and then telling myself to concentrate on the subject at hand and not get off on a tangential interest. ( AS finding that file was.)  I need to revisit that file someday.