Re: Cleaning Boxcar Interiors

Todd Sullivan

Hi Bob,

I have seen several different clean-out tracks on different railroads, and I have never seen one that tilted cars to the side to allow debris to slide out of the car.  Most of the stuff that I saw as a clerk that needed cleaning out of boxcars would not have just slid out the door, unless it was grain leavings.  On the railroad I worked for, the RIP and clean-out tracks were one and the same, and they were level.  The car cleaners used carts to dispose of the debris from cars that needed cleaning ... everything from dunnage in gondolas to full reefer loads of rotten tomatoes.  I suppose there might be tilted tracks somewhere - can you give a specific instance?

Todd Sullivan.