Re: When did B&M start with blue/ black paint scheme?

Peter Ness

Good point, Tim. It would make sense to have the new P&Ls in place for the new cars. I suspect that as happened at the New Haven, since there were multiple diagrams its likely when the Minuteman scheme cars were shopped they were repainted in whichever diagram (or paint quantity) was on hand. I’m guessing the date is beyond the scope of this group, but the equipment would have been maintained in that scheme until the simplified all-blue with small B&M herald was applied.  I’m pretty sure that was post-1960 since McGinnis was still rousing rabble until after that time before being indicted and imprisoned…

Peter Ness

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:04 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] When did B&M start with blue/ black paint scheme?

There is a photo of a freshly painted B&M 40' 1937 AAR box car in original
"minuteman" lettering with a shop stencil of 12-1955.

In June 1956 (perhaps earlier) the B&M was receiving blue & black 50 foot
PS-1 box cars from Pullman Standard. In 1957 they followed up with 40 foot
PS-1's with blue doors and a black right hand side panel.

Tim

Patrick B. McGinnis controlled the B&M about April 1955 and left the New Haven.  Herbert Matter designed both New Haven and B&M schemes. I do not know what B&M P&L drawings may say on dates for the box cars, but I believe the earliest the Blue and Black scheme could be in service is late 1955 to early 1956. NH P&L diagrams were still being developed for equipment through 1956.  Point being, just because there is new leadership doesn’t mean paint schemes are always the first thing to change…

Peter Ness

when did B&M start to paint box cars blue with black doors? I am interested in a 1937 AAR 40' box car in that paint but need to know the earliest date possible to use it.

Many thanks

Johannes

Sterling, Massachusetts