Re: AMB wheel masks

Matt Goodman

I have a wheel mask, but rarely use it since it doesn’t prevent the axle end from being painted. 

How do folks on this list deal with that? I’m currently dull-coting while still in the truck (while the wheelset is spinning), then subsequently removing the wheel and brush-painting everything to avoid painting the needle journal (usually successfully). 

I’d prefer to airbrush them if I can solve that issue. 

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

On Dec 10, 2018, at 1:14 AM, Roger Huber via Groups.Io <trainpainter@...> wrote:

Well, I never thought it all that difficult to clean the treads and axle ends after I paint them plus then you don't need to hunt for the right tool when you go to paint. It isn't fun to clean all the fixtures when done too.

I'm sure they have generated a lot of revenue for the companies selling them.

Just my 2¢.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2018 10:38 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] AMB wheel masks

Thanks Dennis. I have wheels from DOZENS of manufacturers so I guess I can
live with a thousandth or two of size variation... Now I wonder which one is
the LARGEST, and that will be my "universal" wheel mask. :-D

Tim

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 05:46 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Aren't all HO scale 33" wheelsets the same size?

Tim, all prototype 33" wheels aren't the same size :-)  33" works out to .378 and some change in HO scale, unless the manufacturer used 1:87 as the scale factor, then it's a bit over .379. Since the tread is tapered, there has been continuous disagreement about where the diameter should be measured. I know the Accurail molded wheels measure .380 at the root of the flange fillet. When you are trying to produce a press fit paint mask, size matters, as they say, so AMB has decided they need three masks to cover the range.

Dennis Storzek

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.