Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

On Dec 10, 2018, at 1:14 AM, Roger Huber via Groups.Io <trainpainter@...> wrote:

Well, I never thought it all that difficult to clean the treads and axle ends after I paint them plus then you don't need to hunt for the right tool when you go to paint. It isn't fun to clean all the fixtures when done too.

I'm sure they have generated a lot of revenue for the companies selling them.

Just my 2¢.

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2018 10:38 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] AMB wheel masks

Thanks Dennis. I have wheels from DOZENS of manufacturers so I guess I can
live with a thousandth or two of size variation... Now I wonder which one is
the LARGEST, and that will be my "universal" wheel mask. :-D

Tim

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 05:46 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Aren't all HO scale 33" wheelsets the same size?

Tim, all prototype 33" wheels aren't the same size :-)  33" works out to .378 and some change in HO scale, unless the manufacturer used 1:87 as the scale factor, then it's a bit over .379. Since the tread is tapered, there has been continuous disagreement about where the diameter should be measured. I know the Accurail molded wheels measure .380 at the root of the flange fillet. When you are trying to produce a press fit paint mask, size matters, as they say, so AMB has decided they need three masks to cover the range.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts