Re: Photos From The New York Historical Society's Digital Collections

Staffan Ehnbom

Yes, the partial text on theĀ Great Northern Boxcar (Hopper Box?) is HOPPER BOTTOM.

Staffan Ehnbom

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 7:10 PM Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Most model railroads are never completed. Mine suffers from the owner's habit of pursuing digital archives. In this case, I was looking for (and found) Sunkist billboards for my Citrus Modeling Group and went from Getty Images to the actual source, the New York Historical Society's digital collections

( http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/ ).

Once there, I wondered what railroad items were in the collection. They have literally hundreds of photos of elevated train infrastructure being removed in early 1941 under a search for "Railroad". Queries for "Train" and "Pier" (as in d"own by the docks") were more fruitful.

Below is what I found.

I hope you enjoy these and can make use of the photos. These can be enlarged quite a bit while retaining good detail.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

++++

SP Boxcar 83468 & PRR Ventilated Boxcar 73922

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A68733

PRR Boxcar 7?746 "Empire Line"

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A72870

Railway Gun & Camouflage (?) Painted Boxcars

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A72295

Four MTD Reefers

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A64065

Assorted Boxcar Rooftops

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A65688

B&M Boxcar 70027CT Plus Gondola

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A65652

Partial UP 122156 Boxcar

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A67344

Assorted Boxcars

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A67414

NYC Boxcar 198604 Plus Other Boxcars

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A68116

IC Boxcar 28000 (Partial) & VRR Boxcar 8610

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A68334

Many Boxcars On Car Floats

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A68115

SOU Gondola 180010 & NYC&HR Reefer 131147

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A68324

New Haven Boxcar

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A68339

Partial Great Northern Boxcar (Hopper Box?)

http://digitalcollections.nyhistory.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A68532