Re: Brake question for IC wood caboose

Alexander Schneider Jr

Bruce, what I wrote was misleading. What I meant was that the brake wheels will be horizontal,  on vertical shafts, rather than the mechanism shown on the IC caboose at IRM.

Alex Schneider

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 9:16 PM, Bruce Smith
<smithbf@...> wrote:

​Alex,

Um.. K brake has nothing to do with the complexity of the rigging. You still need to reverse the action of the wheel.​ I've attached a photo ops a PRR N5 underbody (model) that I based on the PRR drawing. On the PRR, these were originally equipped with KD brakes and when upgraded to AB, the simply changed the reservoir and added the AB valve.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Alexander Schneider Jr <aschneiderjr@...>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2018 6:12 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Brake question for IC wood caboose

Thanks, Dennis and Bruce. Since I’m building this caboose for a diorama where only major brake components can be seen, the critical point is that I need two brake wheels. And since it’s back in the K brake era, I won’t have the elaborate mechanisms shown on the IRM photos.

Alex Schneider

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis Storzek
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2018 5:59 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Brake question for IC wood caboose

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 02:33 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Typically, the 2nd wheel pulls the far end of a 2nd lever that then pulls the brake lever in the same direction as the other wheel.

Not sure that's real clear, so let me try. Most cabeese I'm familiar with have a THIRD brake lever pivoted at its midpoint on a bracket on the center sill somewhere. the handbrake rod that normally ends with a chain connecting to the the brake cylinder push rod connects with a chain to one end of this lever, with another length of chain connecting to the push rod. The rod from the other hand brake connects to the other end of this lever. Winding up either (or both) hand brakes pulls the push rod out and sets the brakes; both hand brakes must be released to release the brakes.

Here are some photos of IC 9792 in the collection at IRM, one shows the hand brake at each end: http://www5.irm.org/gallery/IC9792

Dennis Storzek

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.