Re: The curious case of NP box car colors in the 50's

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 07:59 PM, Robert Heninger wrote:
That isn't a 30 year old paint job, though.
I really hate to comment on railroad specific practice of roads I'm not familiar with, but it looks like no one is going to come up with the definitive answer, so I will say this; during the fifties the railroad industry as a whole moved from organic pigment paints to synthetics, and the standard colors changed at that time. My favorite road Soo Line made the change about 1957, the oxide red becoming a darker, browner color, and I believe the mighty PRR made the change at about the same time. It wouldn't surprise me if the NP did also, but it would surprise me if it happened before the later half of the decade.

Dennis Storzek