Re: Blog post on Car Cards

John Barry

Tony,

Interesting observation.  An additional point I omitted in my post is that the 18xx waybills were accounting department forms while the 13xx car cards were from the car service department.  A fine point, as all four are for non-revenue use, so it probably didn't matter for the bottom line.  I was surprised when I came across the Form 1391 Empty Tank Car Card in the 1947 blank form list as everything else I'd seen indicated that Mty tanks moved on regular, non-revenue waybills, including period memorandum copies of Bills of Lading in the files of the Office of Defense Transportation at the National Archives at San Bruno.  I would still like to find an example of the 1391 card.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 12:11:11 PM EST, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

     Nice post, John, and an interesting adaption of the prototype paperwork. I like what you are doing, and I think it will definitely add to your system.
     Small comment on empty tank cars and other privately owned cars: it was at the owner's discretion whether the empty cars were moved on regular waybills (more efficient, as they went all the way to destination on a single piece of paperwork) or on ordinary railroad empty documents. So I would say you can have both at the same time. There are indications from a number of former clerks and agents that it worked that way.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history