From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chuck Soule
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 12:19 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] NP 1937 AAR 40’ boxcar

The NPRHA site is a fabulous resource, but it is difficult to search, and you often need to have a pretty good idea what you are looking for in order to find specific information.  For example, you cannot really search it for 1937 AAR 40' boxcar.  You will be able to search it better if you already have an idea what the car number range is, or else you can search the equipment diagrams to see if you can determine the closest match that will give you numbers..  Here is a way to approach the site:

1. go to www.nprha.org

2. click on the tile for equipment.  When that tile page comes up, then on the tile for freight cars.  It will give you a list of internal links, such as "Freight Car Roster" or "Freight car rosters by era", or "Box Car Diagrams"

3. click on Freight Car Roster.  It will give you an extensive table.  Note the instructions at the top about how to search the table using column filtering.    This is very clunky, but is the way to narrow your search.

4. an example -  hover your mouse over Equipment type, and you will see a little arrow show up to the lower right of your mouse.  Click on the arrow to get a drop-down box, and select box car.  This will immediately narrow the list from almost 500 items to 117 items.  You might be able to do additional filtering with builder column or date column to whittle the list more.

5.  You will see two columns of interest: "Diagram Number" and "Diag No".  the second one is a live link to the diagram.

6.  Once you think you have the number range you want, go back to the top and select Equipment, then Freight Car.  Down at the bottom of the list of resources, you will find four different photo collections listed.  Each of these will give you a table that needs to be column filtered.  They have a thumbnail photo for each entry.  If you find a picture that you would like, email research@... with your inquiry, and they will respond, including the way to get scans of the photos or diagrams of interest.

Chuck Soule