From: Tim O'Connor
Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2019 2:40 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] decals on wood

Bruce

I seal real wood with Minwax polyurethane. It turns wood into "virtual styrene". :-) And of course
it can be painted over.

Tim O'Connor

On 1/6/2019 2:36 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Folks,

I could use some help. I have been working on an ABC USRA gondola with an undec IM kit (in HO) and I'm getting near the end. I have the decals for this car from the ACl/SBD/SCL HS. Most of the lettering goes on the wood sides and as many of you know, this kit has actual wood sides. I have painted these black with Model Master enamel, sanded them, and painted on a a second coat. The paint is flat and so my plan is to give a third coat with Future and proceed to decal. My question is, are 3 coats (2 paint, 1 future) good enough to seal the wood and get good decal performance, or do I need more coats of paint to seal first?

Regards

Bruce

Sterling, Massachusetts