Re: Model Train Magazine Index web site

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 09:03 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Yep. I first encountered it at the NMRA convention in Denver in 1991. A man was selling searches from
the database - some amount of money per page! Funny when you think about it.

Tim,

I think that was an earlier effort... the name Data Train of Texas comes to mind. As far as I know, Jeff's index was always free, and was hosted by a friend (not a model railroader) who had space on his server. That free part became a problem when the free server space was wanted for other uses, and the index was in danger of shutting down. I offered space on the server Accurail was using, since we were paying for way more than we were using at the time, but couldn't justify the time to keep the index updated. Kalmbach was the 'white knight' that saved the day. But I agree with you, the index is less useful than it has been in the past. I don't think I've used it in two or three years.

Dennis Storzek