Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Lehigh Valley Gondola

Matt Herson

Yes, NYCTA subway cars were run in freight trains.  Attached is a shot on the CNJ at Cranford, NJ 12-64 of Budd built R32 cars with two DL&W gons on both ends.  The gons were equipped with an MCB coupler on one end and the NYCTA coupler on the other.  This allowed the brake pipe to be activated through the subway cars for braking.  The subway cars were always placed at the rear end of the train.  Cars from the various builders were delivered this way.  Have shots of NYCTA cars traveling through Windsor, Ont. On the Wabash.

Matt Herson

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Edward
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Lehigh Valley Gondola

I don't think that transit or subway cars would have been cut into a train for of  freight cars while on their way from the plant to delivery.
They may have been moved as an extra, of 20-30 or so cars at a time and maybe even by night, to avoid potential vandalism along the way.
I've yet to see a photo of transit or subway cars in train movement for delivery, other than at a car float or delivery terminal.
Yet there must have been many such movements over the decades from 1905 to the 1990's, from Pullman, Standard Steel, Pressed Steel, St. Louis, ACF and Budd, to the municipalities buying such rolling stock. I think now such cars are shipped individually on flat cars or on highway flat-bed trailers.

The only movements of transit or subway cars I am familiar with through research, is the delivery of 90 motor units and10 trailers from Standard Steel Car to the Staten Island Rapid Transit (B&O New York Terminal subsidiary) in 1925.
The first ten cars left Standard at Hammond IN via NYC to GE's test track and facility at Erie PA in late February 1925.
These were track tested and had the car controls calibrated by GE to vary switching points between series and parallel.
The cars then went to the SIRT Clifton Shops (sans motors and pickups) along with calibration documentation.
They likely went via Erie to NY and car floats to St. George.
The SIRT Clifton Shops installed the traction motors, shoe beams and contact shoes.

The remainder of the contract was shipped in three additional special movements like the first, going by rail directly to Staten Island via Cranford Junction in NJ.
The attached photo shows the second train of sixteen SIRT cars ready to leave the Standard Steel plant for delivery in May, 1925
In shipping, the cars did not have their traction motors, third rail shoe beams or pickup shoes installed.
An AAR coupler and air hoses were fitted to one end of the first car and the back end of the last for the movement. 
Th remainder of the train retained the Westinghouse H-2A type multiple unit electric couplers.  

Ed Bommer

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.