Re: Red Caboose DODX Tank Cars

John Barry

Also way in the future, they were common on the Aberdeen & Rockfish as they carried JP-4 or JP-8 to supply the tank farm at Pope AFB/Fort Bragg.  I saw them on my daily commute to the 40th TAS.  As with Garth, no photos, as they were so ubiquitous. . .

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Thursday, January 17, 2019, 6:45:40 AM EST, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

Friends,

If you've ever wondered where prototypes for the old Red Caboose tank car operated, look no further. The attached photo was taken circa 1983 in Beaufort, North Carolina on the Beaufort & Morehead Railroad ("The Route of the Jets").  I'm not entirely sure of where these cars were going, but probably between a tanker terminal on near-by Radio Island and Camp Lejeune. There were dozens of these tankers that day, as well as some other types. I'm reasonably sure they were carrying aviation fuel.
Of course, these cars were used other places as well.

This was of course several years before the RC kit appeared, and to me at the time these were just ho-hum tank cars. It was the Whitcombs I was after. (Sigh!).

Enjoy the photo.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff