Re: Rust Belt Boxcars Cocoa Beach Handout

Donald B. Valentine

Re: Rust Belt Boxcars Cocoa Beach Handout
From: Bruce Smith
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 10:26:19 PST

​The one that really got my attention was that nearly half the D&H boxcar fleet in 1950 was still 36' cars!

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, Al

     That's largely do to the management techniques of Lenore Loree who was trained on your
favorite railroad, Bruce, the Pennsy. Cheer up, the New Haven was in nearly the same boat with
36 ft. cars as well until not long before.WW II. But look at what each road primarily hauled, or
originate; manufactured goods on the New Haven and coal on the D&H. I don't believe the O&W
had any 40 ft. box cars before 1950 if after. Even on the BAR in 1947 half of the boxcar fleet was
under 40 ft. in length.

Cordially, Don Valentine