Re: deliver something other than livestock

tbarney2004

Not sure if it was mentioned as I haven't gone through all the responses, but I'm pretty sure PRR class K stock cars were used to haul the (summer) tomato harvest to the Campbell's Soup Plant in NJ.

Tim Barney

On 1/21/2019 9:13 AM, Guy Wilber via Groups.Io wrote:
Mark wrote:

"Commodities I've seen shipped in stock cars in photographs:

  • Coal. A LOT of coal in stock cars, in the Rocky Mountain States, as late as WWII
  • Beehive Oven Coke. Also as late as WWII
  • Railroad ties, treated and untreated
  • Ice -- some recent photos were posted on the D&RGW Facebook site showing pond ice loading in stock cars in the early 1960s
  • Freight Car Wheels
  • Lumber
  • Cabbages"

Additional commodities transported within stock cars included; watermelons, other various melons, and bagged potatoes.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada