Re: Ertl Boxcar

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Doug and Ben,

While most USRA DS boxcars rode on their original Andrews trucks until scrapped, a few did receive AAR sideframe trucks. There is a photo of TH&B 4612 on page 72 of the December 1997 RMC with AAR trucks.

The GN still had almost 400 of these cars in original condition in 1959. Some USRA cars, and some of their 7/8-end clones, received modernized brakes in the 1950s. It is possible some USRA cars also received AAR trucks. The only photo I could find on AAR trucks is of clone 30411 (which also got a corrugated steel door) in the May 1988 DING.

Maybe our GN mavens can document some of the true USRA cars on AAR trucks.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/26/19 10:49 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Doug Harding wrote:
"The trucks often need attention with the truck tuner tool."

You should want to replace the model's trucks with Andrews trucks as delivered on the prototype.  I don't remember seeing any USRA DS boxcars in the transition era with replacement trucks.

Ben Hom