Re: Alexander scale models

Bruce Smith

Now, if anyone wants to offer a 1940’s era LeTourneau towed scraper for me to load on a flat car, that would make me very happy! (Photo is from the Signal Corps Archive, Library of Va)

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jan 28, 2019, at 8:56 AM, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

The Don MIlls resin model is not a scraper … it’s a 1940’s-50’s Euclid bottom-dump off road truck. It’s a nice model.

The Stewart soft-metal model is a 1950’s-60’s vintage scraper. These machines were somewhat “streamlined”, and look more modern than they are. It’s a rather cude model, but reasonably accurate.

Such machines often lasted a long time, so the two machines overlap in vintage. They operated up into the 1970’s at least. Some restored examples can still be seen today at HCEA shows and similar.

The only other such HO models are the plastic Caterpillar scrapers made by Roco-MiniMovers which are quite nice. These are larger and more recent machines, though still “vintage” by modern standards. There were two versions, each with the same scraper bowl, one with a 2-wheeled tractor, and one with a four-wheel tractor.

Nowadays there are also some diecast metal models of far more modern scrapers, some with twin engines.

Dan Mitchell
On Jan 28, 2019, at 6:59 AM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

So it appears there are two distinct scrapper models available: http://donmillsmodels.com/product/euclid-70fdt-89w-bottom-dump/

Bill Welch