Re: Alexander scale models

ford.donald77 <ford.donald77@...>

Group
i have two sets of Mercury Euclid TS-24 double engine scrapers that came with a blade mounted crawler tractor and a rubber tired front end loader.  I think they were promotional gifts of Euclid.  I got them when I worked a Blum's Hobby House in downtown Cleveland Ohio in 1960 or 61.  I think they are a little small for HO scale.  in 1958 I was driving truck and we would haul tires for Euclid from Goodyear on the west side of Cleveland to the Euclid plant trapped even on bright sunny day. Keen Driveaway would haul these on drop deck low-boys with just one set of tire on trailer and one set on the ground, terrible ride.
My computer skills don't allow me to photograph and post here.

Don Ford
PRRT&HS 4255
Cameron Missouri

On Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:17:23 AM CST, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

YES! … That was the most common scraper of the WWII period, and many lasted far beyond that. It’s distinctive, so there are no substitutes, and it’s a rather complicated-looking machine that adds interest as a model. The LeTourneau scrapers came in several sizes, but most looked pretty much the same. Nearly all were pulled by crawler tractors of any make and appropriate size.

There were also the self-propelled Tournapull Super-C machines with a two-wheeled rubber-tired tractor. The bowl of the Tournapull was almost the same as on the towed scrapers.

Models of all these are available in 1/48 scale, but none in HO.

WAY back (1950’s? RMC?) there was a very brief article in one of the model railroad magazines on how to scratch built an HO version. Despite it’s complexity it wouldn’t be too difficult to scratchbuild one … most everything is either a rectangular beam or a flat plate. The tires could be scrounged from some other HO earthmover.

Dan Mitchell
==========
On Jan 28, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Now, if anyone wants to offer a 1940’s era LeTourneau towed scraper for me to load on a flat car, that would make me very happy! (Photo is from the Signal Corps Archive, Library of Va)
Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

<LeTourneau.jpg>

On Jan 28, 2019, at 8:56 AM, Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@...> wrote:

The Don MIlls resin model is not a scraper … it’s a 1940’s-50’s Euclid bottom-dump off road truck. It’s a nice model.

The Stewart soft-metal model is a 1950’s-60’s vintage scraper. These machines were somewhat “streamlined”, and look more modern than they are. It’s a rather cude model, but reasonably accurate.

Such machines often lasted a long time, so the two machines overlap in vintage. They operated up into the 1970’s at least. Some restored examples can still be seen today at HCEA shows and similar.

The only other such HO models are the plastic Caterpillar scrapers made by Roco-MiniMovers which are quite nice. These are larger and more recent machines, though still “vintage” by modern standards. There were two versions, each with the same scraper bowl, one with a 2-wheeled tractor, and one with a four-wheel tractor.

Nowadays there are also some diecast metal models of far more modern scrapers, some with twin engines.

Dan Mitchell
On Jan 28, 2019, at 6:59 AM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

So it appears there are two distinct scrapper models available: http://donmillsmodels.com/product/euclid-70fdt-89w-bottom-dump/

Bill Welch