Re: Ertl Boxcar

Allan Smith

There is an article by Mont Switzer in the February 2002 issue of Mainline Modeler about detailing an Ertl USRA Double Sheathed Boxcar.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On ‎Monday‎, ‎January‎ ‎28‎, ‎2019‎ ‎10‎:‎48‎:‎13‎ ‎AM‎ ‎PST, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Garth Groff wrote:
"The flat cars are also excellent, essentially being a knock-off of the Tichy model. In a June 1993 RMJ article Richard Hendrickson said  the flat was good for several roads pretty much as-is (T&P, SP&S, NC&STL, CN and CP and some Lackawanna home-builts). He threw in SSW, but they were a bit longer. In correspondence on the old group I have on file Ben Hom suggested N&W."

N&W Class FE:

"I don't know about the Ertl cars' availability. The last time I saw some of the boxcars at a train show, there were a half-dozen used pieces (pretty banged up, and a couple missing roofs), and with a very high price. Since I can't justify any more of them in my collection, I passed. I would have grabbed the flats or gons."

A quick way to gauge the marketplace for a given model is to do a completed item search on eBay.  Click on the "Advanced" link next to the search bar at the top of the page and check on the "Completed listings" box on the next page.  This will filter results and show both sold and unsold completed listings.

Spoiler alert: They're not as common as Athearn boxcars, but they're not exactly rare either.

Ben Hom