From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of William Hirt
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 9:09 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] RMC

RMC has printed on a regular basis freight car drawings again (most beyond the time scope of this group). I know because I made several positive comments to Stephen about this returning to RMC.

As someone who has edited more than a few work and club monthly or quarterly publications, an editor can only print what they have (I can visualize other editor's heads nodding). They can make suggestions to folks about articles they would like to have to print, but that does not always bear fruit. Then there are some people who enjoy writing, figure out what is needed by a publication, and write articles that are regularly published that are based on their interests. The small editorial staffs these days do not have the time to write a lot of articles because they do more than just editorial duties now.

Many of the articles that White River received from Carstens had aged out (new techniques had surpassed what the article discussed/products used or described are no longer available/etc.), so they had to build rapidly a new article collection for the publication to fill the magazine. The next editor will be in better shape than when White River took over in that RMC has built a backlog of current articles that can be published.

Each editor places their own stamp on the article content of a publication, so I would expect some changes when the next editor takes over.

Bill Hirt

On 1/28/2019 7:56 PM, Dave Lawler wrote:

If someone takes over I hope they’ll make it more like the old (Carstens) RMC with more historical articles, scale drawings

and remember that there were railroads East of the Mississippi and also Canada. I just renewed for 2 more years. I hope that’s not lost.