Re: Linkage repair on a brass locomotive

Bruce Smith

​Brian,

There are a number of suppliers of rivets of that size and having a rivet tool is very useful. Micro rivets are usually hollow tubular stock. The rivet will come with one side formed. I insert the rivet, put the formed side on a hard surface and then gently peen the unformed side. The tool I use is about 1/8 diameter stock with a concave end that helps in peening over the rivet end. Mine came from Bowser.

Regards

Bruce

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bryian Sones via Groups.Io <bryian.sones@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Linkage repair on a brass locomotive

Bruce,
No, I have never had to replace a rivet linkage before. However I have Quartered Repaired and painted also added fixture details and sound decoders to many brass locomotives. I have even painted brass professionally so I'm not afraid to tackle the task. I'm just not aware of the process to produce a replacement rivet. I could easily fabricate a replacement from brass stock as a stand in but I'm not sure if that is how it is done or is there a rivet tool?

Kind regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:24 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

​I would suggest a tiny brass pop rivet ;)  I realize that you may never have riveted valve gear and it isn't as simple as using a screw, but any owner of steam models should have this skill in their quiver. 

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bryian Sones via Groups.Io <bryian.sones@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:04 PM
To: STMFC
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Linkage repair on a brass locomotive

Hi All,

I had the linkage break on one of my brass locomotives. It appears to have been held together by a tiny brass pop rivet. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to replace it and reconnect the linkage?

Thanks,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.