Re: Linkage repair on a brass locomotive

Bryian Sones

Thanks Bruce, I'm familiar with rivet tools. I've used them in other application in the automotive field. I used to build show cars for the CES and the SEMA show when I was younger. I wasn't sure if there was a hand tool available to replace rivets that small or if it was stamped during production and the end user was left with fabricating some sort of replacement if it wore out. I'll see if Bowser still sells the tool. Is there anyone else that might sell the rivet tool?

Thanks,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:07 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

​Brian,

There are a number of suppliers of rivets of that size and having a rivet tool is very useful. Micro rivets are usually hollow tubular stock. The rivet will come with one side formed. I insert the rivet, put the formed side on a hard surface and then gently peen the unformed side. The tool I use is about 1/8 diameter stock with a concave end that helps in peening over the rivet end. Mine came from Bowser.

Regards
Bruce

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bryian Sones via Groups.Io <bryian.sones@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Linkage repair on a brass locomotive

Bruce,
No, I have never had to replace a rivet linkage before. However I have Quartered Repaired and painted also added fixture details and sound decoders to many brass locomotives. I have even painted brass professionally so I'm not afraid to tackle the task. I'm just not aware of the process to produce a replacement rivet. I could easily fabricate a replacement from brass stock as a stand in but I'm not sure if that is how it is done or is there a rivet tool?

Kind regards,

Bryian Sones
Murrieta, CA

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:24 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

​I would suggest a tiny brass pop rivet ;)  I realize that you may never have riveted valve gear and it isn't as simple as using a screw, but any owner of steam models should have this skill in their quiver. 

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bryian Sones via Groups.Io <bryian.sones@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 7:04 PM
To: STMFC
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Linkage repair on a brass locomotive

Hi All,

I had the linkage break on one of my brass locomotives. It appears to have been held together by a tiny brass pop rivet. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to replace it and reconnect the linkage?

Thanks,

Bryian Sones
Murrieta, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.