Re: Soo Line Wood Boxcars #100-444 / Accurail 7000 Series Kitbash #100-444

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 03:02 PM, Sean Murphy wrote:
The WC cars were nearly identical from my understanding.
The WC cars, 1500-1652 (even) were identical. All 250 cars were done as one batch during the winter of 1950-1951, and then proportionally assigned to the two corporate entities. While these look like simple upgrades of older cars, the rebuilding was quite extensive as not only the centersills were replaced, but also the side sills, and the posts re-spaced to increase the door opening from 5 to 6 feet. Company records don't show any one to one correlation with older car numbers; I believe these were essentially new cars built of salvaged material. These are some of the few Soo single sheathed cars that were equipped with brake steps and high power hand brakes. Here is a link to a photo on the Fallen Flags web site, note the tiny W.C. at the upper left hand corner of the side that denotes WC ownership.

SOO 1584

Dennis Storzek