Re: SLSF 152203 DS auto car and B&A 16000 series flat

Eric Hansmann

Roger Hinman did a fine presentation on steel NYC flat cars at the Chicagoland and Cocoa Beach RPMs. I can’t find my handout but there were about 2500 similar flats installed on NYC Lines in the Teens. I’m slowly working on adapting a Tichy flat with new sides. The prototypes had fishbelly side and center sills.

I’ve got nuthin’ on the SLSF automobile boxcar.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Feb 2, 2019, at 11:52 AM, John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

Can anyone give me further information about these two cars?  SLSF 152203 was a 40' double sheathed end door auto loader in series SLSF 152000-152228.  It was photographed unloading a DUKW onto a Boston & Albany flat at the San Francisco Port of Embarkation during WWII.  I wrote about the book, Gateway to Victory, back in 2015 https://northbaylines.blogspot.com/2015/12/san-francisco-port-of-embarkation-sfpoe.html
I've looked through the Sunshine all time list and associated flyers and came up with earlier and later cars, but not the 152000 series.

The B&A flat has to be one of the 186 cars remaining in the 16000-16399 series.  The build date and capacity eliminate the other B&A flats listed in the Jan 45 ORER.  The Canada Southern Railway website lists the cars as members of Lot 300-F built in 1912.  The 4-13 build date in the photo is consistent with an extended delivery from a late 1912 order.

I would like to model both of these cars.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA