3 New WWII-Era Bethlehem 70-Ton Gondola Schemes Available from Tangent!
Tangent Scale Models
Tangent Scale Models is pleased to announce the availability today of our latest run of Bethlehem 52’6” 70-Ton Gondolas in HO scale. Produced from 1937 until 1957, Bethlehem Steel Company produced over 6,000 of these Gondolas at its Johnstown PA plant and supplied parts to other builders to build an additional 3,000+ cars. These gondolas saw service across the steam, steam-transition, and diesel-eras. These cars could be loaded with steel products, automotive frames, bulk material and scrap metal, just to name a few, and served customers across the USA and Canada. The prototypes were built with drop ends and equipped with various options per the buyer’s specifications.
The Tangent Scale Models Bethlehem 52’6” 70-Ton Gondola is a distinctive finescale replica that includes highly accurate lettering, “true to life” colors, and “near-scale” draft gear. The Tangent model features prototype specific options as well as interior detail, wire grab irons, CNC-machined wheels, Kadee® scale couplers and an intelligent weight design to ensure the model operates as good as it looks.
Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) "Original O-59A 9-1941" is an all new paint scheme for the Tangent Bethlehem 52’6” 70T Gondola. This group of 300 cars was built by BSC and delivered to the B&O in September of 1941. While the B&O rostered over 4,000 of these gondolas total, the paint schemes show interesting variations. By this date, B&O has shifted the Capitol Dome Logo to the right side of the car. Duryea draft gear, riveted steel floors, corrugated ends, and an Ajax brake wheel are all present on the model and correct for this B&O series. Check out the slack adjuster, mounted under the 5th rib on one side of the car – accurate for this specific B&O offering! This car is available in 6 different numbers!
Reading (RDG) "Original 1941" replicates the delivery scheme on Reading’s first 100 car order, built by Bethlehem Steel. BSC and the Reading Company’s own shops would eventually combine to build 2000 cars between 1941 and 1945! Classic white roman lettering stands out on these black GHH class cars. Reading specifications included Duryea draft gear, riveted steel floors, corrugated ends, and Ajax brake wheels. All of these important details are present on the Tangent model and we are pleased to offer 6 new numbers for 2019!
Reading (RDG) "GHH Repaint 1956" is one of our most popular and requested paint schemes for this gondola. 1956 has brought a fresh coat of black paint and the Reading’s new “Speed Lettering” graphics to this 1941-built GHH class workhorse. Slanted and stylized speed lettering with Roman reporting marks and data – this is Classic Reading Company, all the way. We are very happy to offer 6 numbers in this scheme!
Lehigh Valley (LV) "Original 1942" brings some color to this release, exhibiting the Lehigh Valley’s oxide red paint and white lettering. These cars are part of the LV’s second order of 400 gondolas. Take your time – enjoy the nuances of accurate LV lettering: The unevenly spaced LD LMT line, the classic LEHIGH VALLEY typestyle, and black & white diamond. The Lehigh Valley requested conventional draft gear, wood floor, and Dreadnaught ends for these cars, all duplicated with the Tangent offering. This scheme is available in 6 numbers!
Lehigh Valley (LV) "Green 1970" gives the 1970s modelers a splash of beautiful green color! This offering replicates a series of cars refurbished by United State Railway Equipment (USRE) in Washington, Indiana for the Lehigh Valley in February of 1970. This model Is full of little details: a light gray interior wall color matching the prototype, etched-metal Wine tie-downs on the top chord of the car, and stand-off metal ACI plates -- just like the prototype. This car is available in three numbers!
Want to see photos of our new spectacular replicas?
See http://www.tangentscalemodels.com/ for a link to the new models!
We studied the prototype to accurately reproduce it with the following features:
- Dimensional accuracy – scaled exactly from Bethlehem Steel plans
- Highly accurate “true to life” colors
- Exact fonts and lettering placement – compare our replicas to the prototype photos on our website!
- Detail variations: Side chord tie downs appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Steel or wood decks inside the car
- Detail variations: Duryea or conventional end sill detail appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: End door variations (Dreadnaught and Straight Corrugated) appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Tack board locations appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Brake platforms appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Handbrakes applied to match production specifications (Universal, Ajax, or Equipco handbrakes available as separate parts, too!)
- Interior deck sits at the scale height
- Interior detail inside the gondola
- Wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
- Separate air hoses
- Weighted to NMRA specs for smooth operation
- Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
- Tangent 70-ton ASF A-3 Ride-Control trucks
- CNC-machined 33” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models trucks, with semi-scale wheels available separately
- Recommended age 14 years and older.
Do not miss out on this popular Bethlehem 52’-6” 70-Ton Riveted Drop-End Gondola! Pricing for our new RTR gondolas is $38.95 each.
Thank you for continuing to support Tangent Scale Models, a family-owned and operated company!
Tangent Scale Models