Re: Military loads.

Daniel A. Mitchell

Thanks Tony!

Your articles do indeed add to my knowledge of these cars. I’ve done many of the same improvements you suggest, but I did not know of the decal set. I’ll have to see if it’s still a available.

I haven’t seen a ROCO-type prototype car in maybe 25-30 years now.

The ROCO-type cars stayed around well into “DODX” days, but the 6-axle cars they mostly use today are longer and have higher capacity. They also have built-in tie-down-anchor tracks running the whole length of the car. In the days of the ROCO car vehicles were mostly blocked to the deck, with lots of lumber and minimal chains and tie-downs. Nowadays they seem to use hardly any blocking, and LOTS of chains … four or more pairs per end. Modern tanks, of course, are twice as heavy as WWII tanks.

Dan Mitchell

On Feb 3, 2019, at 4:48 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Daniel Mitchell wrote:

Just FYI. The old ROCO 6-axle flats are BOTH 1960’s vintage U.S. Army prototypes. The regular flatcar was for general use. The depressed-center flat is the transport carrier for the M-103 Heavy Tank (though it may well have been used for other things too).

    For more about that Roco flat car and its actual origins, you might wish to read my blog post at:

https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2018/12/upgrading-roco-flat-car-part-3.html

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history