Re: Military loads - "Roco" depressed center flat for foriegn service - photo

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Dennis and Daniel,

Add to that, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Chile and Argentina. According to Wikipedia, 11.37% of the world's track is 5' 6" gauge. In WWII US forces contributed heavily to the defense of the Indian sub-continent on the Burma front, and supplied Nationalist Chinese forces through India via air and the Burma Road. What rail equipment the US might brought to India is beyond me, but this experience probably influenced the later purchase of cars to this gauge. No doubt strategic planning for possible "intervention" in South America was also on the minds of the Generals.

It isn't clear if the cars in the photo were made and stored in these gauges, or if the cars were convertible. Some diesel locomotives manufactured for use by the US military overseas could "easily" be converted to narrow or broad gauge.

Perhaps unknown to most of the list (and irrelevant, as well, since the railroad doesn't own freight cars), but the Bay Area Rapid Transit system in the San Francisco Bay region uses this gauge.

For a list of gauges and the countries that use them, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_gauge .

As a former librarian, I would be remiss if I didn't remind all of you that training, maintenance, and shipping manuals for military rail equipment were printed by the War Department and later the DOD. There are U.S. Government Depository Libraries in every state which hold these materials. The University of Virginia (where I worked) was one such library, and although not all the manuals were in their collection, there were still quite a few of interest. The War Department series would be of great use to some on this group. Also of value is the Army Corps of Engineers "Port Series" books, which have detailed information and maps of facilities (including railroads) at US shipping points, and have been updated regularly since series began in the 1930s.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/5/19 10:58 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 06:29 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Nice! … however, BROAD gauges?  … 60” Russia? .. who used 5’-6” gauge?

Parts of the rail network in India and Pakistan use 66" gauge.

Dennis Storzek