Re: Canopy Cement

Jim Betz

Brian C.,

  If what you bought was "a Krystal Klear knock off" then it will probably still
work for the purpose you are trying to use it for ... I use KK as an adhesive
all the time and for jobs such as you describe what I would do is to run a
bead of KK across the ribs (not a dot) and do all the rest of what you did.
For it to be "dry" it has to sit, undisturbed with the weight on it, for at LEAST
4 hours and I'd probably leave it for 24 hours. Even with your using very
small amounts of it I would hazard a guess that you tested the bond too
soon.  The drying process for KK goes like this - first it "skins over" but
is still quite rubbery, then it will go clear thru the entire depth of the
product (as I said at least 4 and up to 24 hours) - if there is any haziness
to the product it is not dry and will easily let go.
  I get why you used very small amounts of the 'glue' ... but for this
particular use (roof walks) I don't think that was necessary.

  Personally, I don't object to the 'shiny surface' when it is dry.  Because it
dries clear and so small amounts of "over glue" (using too much) usually
"disappear".  Additionally KK can be painted (or dull coated) and when
that is done any "over glue" will look like a welding seam - if you can find
it!

  One of the best characteristics of KK is that if you want to take the parts
apart you can let some water -sit- on it for at least 30 minutes and I usually
use 1-2 hours and it will soften enough to let go.  Further rinsing/flushing
will get all of the KK off - then dry the part fully and start over.

  I -always- use a round toothpick to apply KK.  You can pick up a small
amount by just dipping the tip into the surface of the KK or you can
shove it down it a half inch more to get a lot.

  KK forms a natural (read "unavoidable") fillet of material where ever two
surfaces being glued meet.  This characteristic is especially useful when
gluing items that don't fit perfectly and/or when more strength is wanted.
Examples are gluing the window shades to the cab roof of a Geep or
when installing grabs in holes that are a bit too big (for this one I dip the
point of the toothpick in the KK and then push it into the hole and twirl
it and finally put the grab into the hole.
  KK is especially useful when joining painted parts such as a detail
part that only has to stay where it is (i.e. does not need a lot of strength)
because once the KK has dried if you don't use water first you will
probably remove some of paint before it lets go - or break one of
the parts on the two sides of the joint.
                                                                                            - Jim B.