Re: Throwback Tuesday: MDC "Old Timer" Freight Cars

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Claus,

I suppose it depends on your era, though it seems like kind of an odd-ball car. Obviously Clinchfield stock cars were around before 1919. The only complete ORER is have is for 1958, and there are no stock cars listed for the Clinchfield. That said, their 2000-series of pulpwood cars have a nominal 36' inside length, and might have been converted from the stock cars. When this could have happened, I don't know. The Clinchfield is not a line I know much about.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/7/19 9:25 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:

Hi Garth and List Members,

Thanks Garth for the additional info. It seems that perhaps an accurate model of Clinchfield 2499 can be made starting with the MDC N scale model and making some modifications.

I will also add that the book "Stock Car Cyclopedia Volume 1" by Hundman has several pages with pictures of early stock cars that are close (but not exact) to both the HO and N MDC models - see link below to help identify the book:

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 5:18 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Tuesday: MDC "Old Timer" Freight Cars

Claus,

Outside sheathing to form a letterboard for the railroad's name was not uncommon on earlier stock cars. The 1919 CAR BUILDERS' DICTIONARY (reprinted as Gregg TRAIN SHED CYCLOPEDIA NO. 36) shows two 40' Santa Fe cars of different types (59169 and 55807). It is more common to refer to ATSF cars by their class numbers, but those are not given. I'm sure the Santa Fe gurus will step in here. 

Also shown is a Clinchfield 36' car (2499) that was fairly close to the MDC car, and might have been its inspiration. I said "fairly close", but not exact.

I had one of these stock cars in their earliest incarnation with separate wire grabs, was well as a couple of the boxcars. Nice models for the time, but now I see how clunky the tooling was from the picture. I guess we've been spoiled over the years. I sold off my HO standard gauge while I was in college and my early service days to play narrow gauge in HOn3 and later real On2. When I came back to HO, these cars had been retooled with cast-on grabs and ladders. I was greatly disappointed.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.