Re: First Shipment Of California Vegetables To Boston?

Tony Thompson

Don Valentine  wrote:

Thank you Tony & Mark. Given what you have both provided where were the earliest re-icing stations located and how close in proximity to one another were they given the average distance traveled by most trains, either passenger or freight, in those days?

    Sorry, that's not something I have researched for that early period. By the 1890s, Armour had created a network of icing stations, but before that, I don't know.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history