Re: D&RGW coal train, which cars appropriate?

Tim O'Connor

Johannes,

The 70 ton Rio Grande GS gondolas were not that unusual. The UP and SP also owned
70 ton GS gondolas.

The Rio Grande did have several series of 50 ton GS gondolas too. The Red Caboose
(and Detail Associates) models work best for the 46000 series cars.

There are RESIN Rio Grande GS gondolas from Shapeways, and they build up into good
looking models. We have discussed them here before.

Tim O'Connor

On 2/9/2019 4:28 PM, vapeurchapelon wrote:
Hello friends,

please allow another dumb question from a freight car newbie. Part of my "mixed freight" is a cut of D&RGW drop bottom coal gondolas, up to date 13 of the 47' type offered by W&R several years ago. I am assuming that just this one car type would be very unlikely to see and therefore I am looking for other cars to add variety. But I don't know enough to decide which available cars can be credibly painted D&RGW. I recall a posting on this group several months ago that most or all D&RGW's gondolas were special in several details and proportions.

The following drop bottom type gondolas are available (in brass, which is mandatory for me for this train):

USRA composite side drop bottom:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/PDG/Detail/19532

GS composite side:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/PDG/Detail/43214

UP G 50-7:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19484/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2250-1-Union-Pacific-GONDOLA

https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19485/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2251-1-Union-Pacific-GONDOLA

SP G 50-9:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19360/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2096-1-Southern-Pacific-GONDOLA

SP G 50-12:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19366/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2249-1-Southern-Pacific-GONDOLA

Is there any model in this list which I can use to make a D&RGW car? And what would be the major changes to do?
Yes I did try to search information, but did not find anything definite. Red Caboose once offered both a wood side GS and a steel side GS gondola lettered D&RGW - but I just don't know if these were correct considering the fact that most all manufacturers were/ are offering "foobies".

I found this photo:
http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/other_cars/drgw_cars/drgw_number/072000-073699.htm

Described here as a 46' type, but if you use "Back to D&RGW Freight Cars Page" you will find it listed as a 40' car (scroll down to the end of the list) - what is correct? To me it looks very similar (please excuse me) to the UP or SP models offered by Challenger.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Many greetings

Johannes
*Tim O'Connor*