From: vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Feb 9, 2019 1:28 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] D&RGW coal train, which cars appropriate?

Hello friends,

please allow another dumb question from a freight car newbie. Part of my "mixed freight" is a cut of D&RGW drop bottom coal gondolas, up to date 13 of the 47' type offered by W&R several years ago. I am assuming that just this one car type would be very unlikely to see and therefore I am looking for other cars to add variety. But I don't know enough to decide which available cars can be credibly painted D&RGW. I recall a posting on this group several months ago that most or all D&RGW's gondolas were special in several details and proportions.

The following drop bottom type gondolas are available (in brass, which is mandatory for me for this train):

USRA composite side drop bottom:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/PDG/Detail/19532

GS composite side:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/PDG/Detail/43214

UP G 50-7:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19484/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2250-1-Union-Pacific-GONDOLA

https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19485/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2251-1-Union-Pacific-GONDOLA

SP G 50-9:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19360/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2096-1-Southern-Pacific-GONDOLA

SP G 50-12:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/19366/HO-Rolling-Stock-Challenger-Imports-LTD-2249-1-Southern-Pacific-GONDOLA

Is there any model in this list which I can use to make a D&RGW car? And what would be the major changes to do?
Yes I did try to search information, but did not find anything definite. Red Caboose once offered both a wood side GS and a steel side GS gondola lettered D&RGW - but I just don't know if these were correct considering the fact that most all manufacturers were/ are offering "foobies".

I found this photo:
http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/other_cars/drgw_cars/drgw_number/072000-073699.htm

Described here as a 46' type, but if you use "Back to D&RGW Freight Cars Page" you will find it listed as a 40' car (scroll down to the end of the list) - what is correct? To me it looks very similar (please excuse me) to the UP or SP models offered by Challenger.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Many greetings

Johannes