Re: bonsallscalecarshops D&RGW Gondolas

Mark Hemphill

Bill:  I'm sorry that I didn't see your post while I was in the process of answering Ron's (and doing some work email).  I think I probably answered some of what you were asking.  D&RGW didn't produce much on line in the way of manufactured goods, but rather products of mines, fields, and forests (and not much in the way of forests). If we're thinking about movements east, the only common commodities that moved off D&RGW in gons going east, other than coal, would be zinc concentrates going to Bartlesville, Oklahoma, rail from CF&I, and there was also some round wood that moved to pulp mills in Wisconsin in the 1940-1960 era that was loaded at Dotsero, Fraser, Granby, and some other points on the Moffat. Scrap metal moving east wouldn't get past Minnequa.

CF&I Minnequa was a bar, wire, and rail mill that supplied western markets. It was not competitive with midwestern mills on an as-delivered basis for commodity steel products beyond central Kansas. CF&I also had a substantial output of specialty steel products such as barbed wire, fence posts, nails, and grader blades, and its market for those extended deep into Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Texas. But none of those moved in large volumes by rail, just boxcars and gons dribbled out in small numbers each week.

Mark Hemphill