MDT 6000 Series Roof Question

Nelson Moyer

I’d like to build Sunshine 20.1 for the MDT 8000 series as MFT 6000 according to modifications described in PDS 20A, which states that the kit can be converted by using wood hatch covers and substituting vertical brake staff and horizontal brake wheel for steel hatch covers and URECO power hand brakes. I built the underbody, including the AB brake components according to the drawings in MM, April 2004 for the 6000 series car, then noticed that the roof for 6000 series cars has 11 flat panels, while the roof provided in the kit has 13 raised panels and an integrated steel hatch. OOOPS! The kit roof is wrong for the conversion, instructions notwithstanding, as it is the 13 raised panel roof. Does anyone know of a roof on any kit or RTR car that matches the 41 ft. 6 ¼ in. 11 flat panel roof of the 6000 series MDT reefers? If I can get the right roof, I can cast a duplicate for my car. I attached a cropped scan of the roof drawing to help identify the right roof. Note the configuration of the seam caps and hatch configuration. My kit included only two wood hatches, while there should have been four, so I have to cast two more hatches in addition to the roof.

Nelson Moyer