Cutting Into a Perfectly Fine Model Part 2


Bill Welch
 

More READING Door Replacement: As I noted earlier I nicked the door frame when I was cutting the old door away so this morning I repaired it using short sections of 0.030 styrene rod, first tacked into place w/Testors and then bonded in place with my reliable "Duro" Cyanoacrylate. I let this cure for a couple of hours and then trimmed and filed until it was impossible to tell I had ever messed up. While it was curing I added .020 x .030 strip styrene to my door blank, using a High School drafting technique taught to me by my friend Pierre Oliver to sort out the correct spacing. Here I used Tamiya's Super Thin as it sets up quickly and after about 30 minutes trimmed the ends off and made the wire door handle. I think it looks pretty good when set in place. I am very pleased with how this has turned out. I will wait to secure the door permanently until I do the other side because I need it to serve as a cutting guide for the second door. There are a couple gaps—I will use slivers of 0.005 styrene to fill these and melt it with Testors.

Bill Welch

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.