Re: freight cars being scrapped in 1947

Bruce Smith

Charles,

In most cases, I believe that wooden cars were rolled to the side, off the track, before burning. This allowed the trucks, wheels, brakes etc.,, to be salvaged first and without damage from the flames and would have also spared the cross-ties.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Feb 22, 2019, at 10:05 AM, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

In the late 1940's, grandfather would sometimes drive us down after dark to watch the L&N RR burning
wooden cars.  I remember there being five or six in a row but that there was at least one more row
behind.  Getting trucks and couplers out of the ashes would I guess have been straight forward.
The little stuff would get pulled out with the magnet crane.  Then bring in more cars once the
tracks were cleared.
I have wondered what was done to protect the ties under the rails from burning.  Cover them
with something?  Flood them?  I don't know.  But it was quite a sight to see the flames at night
with sparks rising into the air.
Chuck Peck

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 9:51 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

A collection of photos here - lots of interesting freight car bits and
pieces

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Radio.WW2/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1995435020702484

*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*